| Save Recipe
| Share This Page
| Bookmark This Page
| Amazon Shopping
Italian Pork Bread Recipe
Italian Pork Bread Recipe, recipe, recipes, Italian Pork Bread Recipe
- Makes 3 round loaves 1 Tbsp active dry yeast 3 Tbsp sugar 1 3/4 cups warm water 3 1/2 to 4 cups white flour, preferably unbleached, approx. 2 tsp salt 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper 1/2 pound well-cooked shredded pork and fat* In a large bowl dissolve the yeast and sugar in 1 cup of warm water, then beat in 1 cup white flour.
- Beat for about 1 minute, then cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit for anywhere from 1 to 3 or 4 hours. (You could be letting the sponge sit while you cook the pork. ) Add the remaining 3/4 cup warm water to the sponge, and stir in the salt, pepper, pork and fat, and as much of the remaining white flour as the dough will absorb easily.
- Because you want to have a soft dough, you should knead it with a dough hook or in a food processor; otherwise beat the dough a good 100 strokes with a wooden spoon, let it rest, and beat again.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise until double in volume.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and divide into three equal pieces.
- Roll each piece out to about 12 inches, very lightly, using only your floured hands, then pick up the rope, twist it four or five time quickly, form a circle, pinching the ends together, and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Repeat with the other pieces.
- The dough should have a rough-hewn, uneven look, and you should widen the hole once the pieces are on the baking sheet so that it doesn't close up completely.
- Let rise, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated 400 F oven for 40 minutes.
- Cool on racks, but serve the bread warm.
- To reheat wrap in foil. * You should have twice as much fat as pork, so use a very fatty piece of pork; let it cook slowly in the fat for at least 2 hours in a slow oven, shred, then cool.